Follow this guide to reduce carbon dioxide

Follow this guide to reduce carbon dioxide

Large businesses are one of the main contributors to global emissions. To accelerate work to reduce carbon emissions, Normative has published a new guide explaining the essentials of carbon accounting for enterprises – from theory to best practices.

“Successfully navigating the rapidly evolving carbon accounting space poses a big challenge to enterprises. Those that get it right will minimise risks, seize opportunities, and future-proof their businesses,” says Neil Ryland, CCO of Normative, the world’s first carbon accounting engine.

According to the New Climate Institute, who surveyed the climate targets of 25 major multinational companies, these companies have only committed to reduce 20% of their total emissions. This leaves 80% unaddressed, an incompleteness that can have significant consequences including allegations of greenwashing, regulatory non-compliance, and lack of access to funding.

Normative’s guide shares practical strategies for using science-based carbon accounting to drive effective action. With a focus on practical solutions, the guide walks large enterprises through the steps of measuring their total emissions and seizing the resulting business opportunities whilst mitigating risks.

In a 2021 study, the Boston Consulting Group found that 91% of companies are failing to measure the full scope of their emissions. Normative’s carbon accounting engine enables companies to comprehensively measure their entire carbon footprint, including value chain emissions. Following the hybrid methodology recommended by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, Normative draws from a scientifically derived database of 30 million data points to perform an initial spend-based calculation of value chain emissions, which can then be refined with activity-based data.

Normative incorporates intelligent automation throughout the product, accelerating the calculation process and minimising human error. The measurements form the foundation for making impactful emission reductions, and can be used for audits, compliance, reduction certifications like SBTi, and other corporate reporting.

“Carbon accounting enables effective action. By following this guide, you will empower your enterprise to make the carbon reductions necessary to fight climate change, while making your company competitive and compliant,” says Ryland.

Download the guide here.

Published by

SHEQ Management

SHEQ MANAGEMENT is the definitive source for reliable, accurate and pertinent information to guarantee environmental health and safety in the workplace.
Prev Lead-free for safety
Next A first in Africa

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.